From the “I-can’t-believe-this-is-diet” school of thought comes this delicious weekend treat. The scones are chockfull of healthy ingredients, including whole grain pastry flour and dry oats for fiber, flaxseed for omega-3s, yogurt and milk for calcium and vitamin D, and blueberries for flavor and disease-fighting antioxidants.
PREP TIME: 20 minutes | TOTAL TIME: 32 minutes | SERVINGS: 10
1¼ c whole grain pastry flour
1 c ground whole oats
½ c nonfat dry milk
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 c low-fat plain yogurt
¼ c honey
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1 c blueberries
1. PREHEAT the oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. WHISK together the flour, oats, dry milk, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. STIR together the yogurt, honey, oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a measuring cup.
4. MAKE a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in the yogurt mixture. Add the blueberries and stir just until blended.
5. DROP the batter onto the prepared baking sheet using a large (¼ cup) ice cream scoop to make 10 scones. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned and firm. Serve with a glass of fat-free milk.
NUTRITION (per serving) 260 cal, 14 g pro, 41 g carb, 3 g fiber, 4.8 g fat, 0.6 g sat fat, 416 mg sodium